Molicare Gif
Edit Template
Edit Template
Edit Template

Healthcare insurance options: are you covered?

by Care & Nursing Essentials editor Victoria Galligan

Healthcare professionals must be protected against a range of legal challenges – from slander and libel to workplace injury claims. Here, we take a look at some of the different types of insurance on offer and the companies which can help you gain peace of mind:

1. Medical malpractice, professional indemnity and public liability

Medical malpractice and professional indemnity both cover you if a compensation claim is made against you. Public liability insurance covers a lot of compensation claims, but claims arising from professional activities are generally not covered by public liability alone. Insurewithcare’s Combined Liability Section policy includes: “Employers liability, public liability and products liability cover, a meaningful medical malpractice extension and cover specifically in respect of claims for actual or alleged abuse.”


2. Employers’ Liability

Taking care of the health and wellbeing of your employees is paramount, and this insurance policy should include loss or injury for all staff – including volunteers. Covering compensation claims and usually bought with other types of business insurance, employers’ liability is a must for any care provider where the risk of injury – particularly through moving and handling – is a concern. AXA offers up to £10million protection for legal costs and compensation due. brings together insurance products which are relevant to care homes, so they can arrange employers’ liability and all the other commercial policies they require in one place.

3. Domiciliary care insurance healthcare insurance - a brown envelope

Can cover staff care both in house and in clients’ homes. Many insurance companies will offer a discount for UKHCA members. Some risks which care homes should be insured for include medical malpractice, public liability and infectious diseases.

Get a quote online: is highly rated by customers.

4. Talking therapies insurance

Covering telephone and Skype calls, generally for counsellors, this insurance allows you to work with clients globally (as long as you are based in the UK). Some policies will include professional indemnity and cover defamation, training and legal assistance to defend a claim.

From £35 a year with Towergate Insurance.

5. Complementary therapy insurance

For practitioners of complementary therapists from acupuncture to massage, this cover could include working abroad if, for example, you work in the hospitality industry. A good policy will ensure you have liability protection for yourself, any staff and the products which you use.

From £17.99 with PolicyBee

See related articles on healthcare insurance on Care & Nursing Essentials.

August LTD
Grahame Gardner
Mr Trax Curtain & Blind Solutions
Inspired Inspirations
Edit Template

Care & Nursing is provided be Euromedia Associates Ltd
UK Registered Company Address: 10 Ashfield Rd, Chorley, PR7 1LJ

Tel: 01257 267677  Email:
Registered Company No: 02662317 VAT Registration No: GB582161642

Euromedia Associates Ltd Publishers of Care and Nursing Essentials Magazine  

Guaranteed Royal Mail distribution

Euruomedia Publishers of Care and Nursing Magazine Celebrating 34 years
Royal Mail Logo

Website and all content Copyright © 2024 Euromedia Associates Ltd All Rights Reserved.

Edit Template